Wednesday, May 13, 2015

National #LaughAtYourself Day (created after an embarrassing moment)

May 6, 2015 - AKA: #RideYourBiketoSchoolDay

I'm fortunate to work at amazing ES campuses where teachers get excited for kids.  They do what it takes to get their students excited about learning.  Even if that means showing up to school with a mini-scooter, classic retro bike, or even a double-seater on National Ride Your Bike to School Day! 

I show roll up in my husband's pick up with my torquise gently-used TREK bike placed strategicially in the bed.  I can't help but smile silently as I'm ready to capture the day in photo and enjoy these amazing people.  After checking in, I chat with excited front office staff and wait for 8:00 to come.

You can hear the excited cheers as upper grades line the front of the parking lot.  Butcher paper crinkles in the wind as first grade holds a big sign dedicated to the day.  Several policemen are in the front of a line of bikes, followed by teachers, and behind them, the entire first grade.  In this order, we will make laps to celebrate. 

My wheels start rolling, and this is by far one of the most exciting starts to the school day I've had all year.  I hear little feet and giggling behind me as the thought enters my tiny brain, "This is a kodak moment!"  Being the Instructional Technology coach on campus, I always have my phone attached at the hip.  One hand on the handle bars, the other stumbling to the camera app, I turn to see the canvas of faces.  Suddenly, my front wheel of my torquise TREK veers to the left.  I correct to the right, and before I know it, I am completely off balance.  I'm headed toward zealous kids who are at the front of the line.  "Watch Out...Sorry...Watch Out..." I yell as I take out three kids.  Yes I ran right in to three kids! I wind up inches from the parked cars in the lot.

Thought #1 enters my head, "Did I just injure sweet innocent 1st graders?" Then I look up to see them well on their way and completely happy as if nothing happened.  Though #2 rushes over me, "You're the worst role model EVER."  No helmet, phone in hand, steering one-handed in front of 1st graders who are well aware of their bike safety rules. Red flushes over my face.  The unbalanced move was slow mo...so much so, that NO ONE missed it.  I look up to see half of the well-entertained audience laugh with me (I preferred this response actually), the other half worried that I'm hurt.  The only thing hurt was my ego as I laugh out of embarrassment and wheel my bike back to the crowd.  

I left the day with three great things:
  1. A priceless story - I could not have made this up!
  2. A reminder of how some days, I just have to laugh at myself.
  3. The power of being humbled and sharing my weaknesses with others. I will name this day #NationalLaughatYourselfDay as I was well aware of my human self and my weaknesses.  I have the tendendency to want to put on a pretty faucade, when really, I live in a body full of human limitations (physically, mentally, spiritually).      
Paul was humbled, and he both spoke and preached out of humility.  "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.  Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why I delight in in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecitions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong." -2 Cor 12:9-10

I'm not comparing myself to Paul. Paul is making reference to very difficult persecution, while I simply whitnessed a little embarassment, but I do believe that there is power in humility.  On May 6th God reminded me of my limitations.  My testimony is my weakness, and God's strength in every aspect of my life.  The cleaned up pretty self that I parade in, may not reveal my dire need for God each day.

2 comments:

  1. Lol I love this Britt!! Way to turn a funny moment into a teaching moment! Thank you for your wise words (and awesome story)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a lot of fun to read. Thanks for sharing this entertaining story while at the same time imparting spiritual wisdom. You have a gift!

    ReplyDelete