Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Don't be Fooled by the Outside, Sanctification is a Process that Starts Within...

I would argue that many people are guilty of seeing their grandparents, or those older than them, at

surface level. What I mean by this is that we see their physical presence as someone who needs help. Most 20-30 somethings have helped an elder with their new smart phone (or flip phone if your most grandparents), their email inbox, the yard work, the heavy lifting, etc. It's fun getting to help, but I have to admit that my view as "helper" has over shadowed my view of the true maturity that lies beyond the physical.

After a fun day of attempting to raft in the Brazos River, I had a chance to sit and look at the view from my grandparents back porch with my grandpa. "You sure have quite the view," I said nonchalantly. I was taken by surprise when my once very stern grandpa choked up a bit as he said, "I just so thankful..." At this point, I knew we were talking about more than the view from the porch. "I just don't know why a King would die for someone like me." Humily was all over him and in this moment. I thought, this is maturity! 

Sanctify (v.): Free from Sin; Purify; To set apart or declare Holy. 

God promises to santify believers as they walk in Him. "Being confident in this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ" -Phil 1:6.  

This same day I got my pick my grandma's brain about a bible study I was leading. The Bible to her truly his the lamp that lights the way. My grandma does not read the bible by verse, she reads it like a the true narrative it is. It's hard, but she reads and gains more knowledge every season. I asked a question about the Holy Spirt and in her response she talked about the various translations that she uses in her study, the talks that she's had with her pastors, and it is made clear to me the persistance she has in knowing truth. My grandma's response was very clear to me.. She didn't pull out a self-help Christian author, she simply responded based on what the Lord had spoken in his word. 

Not all elderly are growing in Christ. However, those who are being sancified daily have more to give this generation than we give them credit for. I pray that I will grow in humily and knowledge of God. That I will not only be able to show someone how to use the latest emoji and communicate instantly, but that I'll be able to show them Christ! 

"For this reason, I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith..." -Ephesians 3:14-17

No comments:

Post a Comment