Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The "Too Much" Information Age

"The world is at our fingertips." This is a phrase we often hear and I can agree. The access that we have today is incredible. I can't tell you the amount of times "Google" (now personified) answers my questions.  In fact, here at the coffee shop, I voice searched "What's really in my Pumpkin Spice Latte" because who doesn't want to know the mystery of the goodness in this cup. I prefer to go with the site that discusses how Starbucks uses "real pumpkin" as opposed to the next search that discusses all of the extra ingredients in the sauce and syrup included in the latte. Two searches,  two answers, and one consumer left to decide on a correct answer before attending to the next task at hand.

While I may be a little upset about my conflicting pumpkin spice search, I'm not nearly as saddened as I am to see people run to Google for answers about their beliefs in Jesus. Being a consumer in the information age means that anyone can post anything. Anyone can prove anything. Authors can pick, paste, highlight, delete, and put a bow on anything that they want. I'm about to sound dated, but do remember the days when being a published author was a privilege? I lit up when the local newspaper wanted to publish my middle school poem! Today, anyone can be a publisher. This is great when we're talking about recipes or decorating our house, but our salvation? Not so much.

I've never been more thankful for the Word of God which is unchanging. I've never valued my friends who are rooted in the Word more than I do now. I've never realized how vital it is to attend a church who practices sound teaching. When tough questions have come up, it has not been Google to provide me clarity, but God's word. No coffee cup verse or inspirational Christian tweet has provided me clarity, but God's word. My recent interactions have proved that online voices can't sum up the Word of God in less than 140 characters. They have also proven that online authors can write pages upon pages of information and say nothing. God promises that his Word is a "lamp to our feet and a light to our path" (Psalm 119:105). According to Proverbs 30:5 "Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words or he will rebuke you..." And not because He's an angry God, but because he is Holy and His Word is truth and life.

I still don't understand what's in my coffee, but who cares, it's just coffee :).

3 comments:

  1. Loved this read Britt!! Great insight!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's scary how much I ask of "google." Loved this! I always look forward to "thoughts worth sharing."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hanna and Karen! I Love You Guys. Thanks for the encouragement. I have always loved to write, so this has been a fun place to share thoughts.

    ReplyDelete