Thursday, October 2, 2014

I Can?

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" - Philippians 4:13  If you grew up like me,
playing, watching, and attending sports games, you have seen this quote.  I remember putting the quote in my locker, on my Senior volleyball, and signing a poster that was hung in the girl's locker room at Texico High.  With the popularity of this verse, I claimed it as my favorite.  "I can do all things," what a powerful notion and certainly motivational.  I can serve that ball, I can guard that girl, the underdog can win this game. Who doesn't love that?!

We are not wrong in that this verse is powerful, but I was wrong in thinking that the Lord was trying to "puff" me up here.  I missed out on the power of this verse when I started relating it verse to my sport's team victory.  Paul wrote this verse while in prison, followed by 4:11-13 in which Paul claims contentment.  "I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances. I have learned the secret to being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, living in plenty or in want." Paul claims to have strength to withstand all things.  "STRENGTH" means that Christ promises to sustain us so that we can persevere in a world of ups and downs.  Our hope is Christ.

Wow this still makes for a great favorite verse, but this verse is claiming contentment, humility, and a desperate need for Christ. Guilty Once Again: I read this passage as if it were about me, but the funny thing is, the Bible is a book about God. By knowing Him, I am changed. 

2 comments: