Thursday, October 30, 2014

Is There a Perfect Vote?

As I pass endless signs pasted with last names and catchy slogans, I am reminded that Texas voting
is November 4th.  Local TV channels discuss weather, traffic, and move through commercials advertising each side of the ballot.  Through the propaganda and announcements, I start thinking about what makes up a good leader.  I wish there was a perfect candidate to mark on the ballot, and while I have my choices, I realize that no name on the ballot even comes close to perfection.  No republican, democrat, male, female, or fancy campaign can guarantee victory.  While many can make promises, none can keep all of their promises.

What if there was a candidate who was completely just and fair?

What if there was a candidate who was willing to physically risk their life for everyone in the country?  What if they risked their life for people who didn't even vote for them?

What if there was a candidate who could guarantee a perfect future?

What if there was a candidate who had a plan that really did guarantee satisfaction?

If this candidate was on the ballot, it would be what I call a "No Brainer."  In fact, I doubt the election would even exist.

We live in a messy world, and although He doesn't need my vote, Christ sits on His throne daily as the perfect ruler.  He sees the broken world and promises a hopeful future for those who declare Him as Christ and submit to His authority.

Whoa Hold Up -SUBMIT? I know this word gets a very negative vibe in our "I do what I want society" (Or as Lady GaGa sings, "U Do What U Want").  However, submitting to a perfect ruler who literally gives me Hope when when I have none, is a proud choice.  The submission here is not a begrudging submission, but a glad submission to a loving, faithful, and just Father.

Unlike politicians and honestly all human beings, His promises are not empty.  In fact, he has never failed to keep his Word.

In fact, roughly 700 years before Christ was born, it was prophesied in Isaiah 53 that Christ would come, he would be despised and rejected, wounded for our sins, and God would be satisfied with this perfect sacrifice.  Then, the New Testament claims all of these things true through Jesus Christ and His death on the cross.  There are countless testimonies of Christ's true promises.

Is submission easy?  No, I am weak and full of pride, but the vote is clear and Christ will walk with us through our time on earth.  "In the world you will have trouble, but take heart, I have overcome the world" John 16:33.

Fair and Just: 1 John 1:9, Psalm 5:4
Sacrificial Love: John 3:16. 1 John 3:16
Perfect Future: Phil 1:6, Rev. 21:1-4
100% Satisfaction: Isaiah 58:11, Luke 6:21

I may not understand everything that happens in the world, but I'll gladly submit to the Perfect ruler.  I love Ecc 5:2 because it reminds me that my understanding is limited compared to the One who I put my vote and trust. "For God is in heaven, and you are on earth; so let your words by few."

No comments:

Post a Comment